Friday, July 23, 2010

The McCollumn - 7/23/10

A Toast to Mr. and Mrs. Kennedy

”They say that the family of the twenty-first century is made up of friends, not relatives.”

While I won’t agree that the statement made by Simon Pegg’s character Tim in the great Britcom “Spaced” is entirely true, it is somewhat true.

For more than two decades, part of my extended family has been the Gore family, none more so than my “somewhat sister,” Mary Louise Gore.

Tomorrow, she becomes Mary Kennedy, marrying her beau Michael Kennedy, and begins her new life away from this sleepy, little village.

While I mourn that two such great people will be leaving us, I celebrate the love they have for one another and the life they are starting with one another.

I’ve known M.L. since birth.

We’ve been on countless vacations between the two families, the “McGores,” as we often style ourselves.

There were the beach trips to Pompano, complete with endless viewings of that “Puff the Magic Dragon” movie on VHS and trips to various theme parks.

For years, every Fourth of July meant a week-long excursion down to John Vance’s beach house in Panama City, and each was just as memorable as the last. One has a tendency not to forget pirate ships, killer seagulls, and, of course, the singular non-reoccurring phenomenon that was my ninth grade live comedy act: “Cliff Live.”

Heck, the Gores even join us for Easter and we join them for Christmas dinner. If that’s not family, I don’t know what is.

While I consider myself blessed to be surrounded by the wonderful group of women I call “my girls,” Mary Louise has always been at the top of that group.

More so than the rest of my girls, I’ve always felt the need to protect and defend her, as a de facto older brother is want to do at times.

Her previous boyfriends were subjected to a rigorous inspection and review process.

One of them was even forced to a clandestine, Woodward and Bernstein-esque meeting at Floral Park after I discovered some unsavory things about his character. He didn’t last long after that.

When M.L. told me she was dating Michael, she told me I could begin the process of combing through his background and life, searching for the problems and issues that could prove burdensome down the road.

The review process on Michael Kennedy took all of about five minutes.

She had my immediate blessing.

While I had known Michael for years, we weren’t extraordinarily close, but I knew him to be a good young man of unimpeachable character, raised by a great family.

Were that all my girls could date such good people.

I also knew that once those two started dating, it would only end in marriage.

Michael, welcome to our odd family.

We are delighted to have you and we know you will do whatever you can to keep our girl happy.

We couldn’t have asked for a better match for her, and (quite frankly) you couldn’t have gotten a better girl.

Mary Louise, words fail me.

To see the little girl I used to have lemonade stands with turn into the beautiful young bride I see before me now is nothing short of astounding.

I wish you the heartiest of congratulations and the fondest of farewells, as you embark on this new journey that will take you from us (even if it is only a few hours away).

Both of you should know you have a vast support network waiting for you back here whenever you need it.

We love you and wish you nothing but the best.

Here’s cheers, kids. L’chaim!

2 comments: