Friday, August 6, 2010

The McCollumn - 8/6/10

Cable bill vote about more than cable competition

I begin by stating that my views reflect no other opinions than my own. I speak only for me and not any other member of the McCollum family.

I learned a long time ago that my views are generally minority views when compared to the rest of my clan.

I keep seeing signs that say “Vote Yes on Cable Competition!”

I admire the “Yes” side’s ability to condense such an important topic into such a succinct, concise summary.

If taken at face value, cable competition is the only choice on the ballot this Tuesday.

Cable competition is but one item on the agenda for Tuesday’s vote.

Also up for grabs in this vote is a new fiber system being placed throughout the town and the completion and full realization of a smart grid system already in place, waiting to be used to its fullest potentials.

While I am all for cable competition, I have misgivings about voting to allow the city to form its own cable company, and I am highly concerned about allowing the smart grid to be further implemented.

I admire the city’s chutzpah in trying to create their own company, I truly wonder if they will be able to provide the services we all complain Charter lacks.

Customer service has been the main complaint against Charter; why do we think the City’s fledgling company will be any better?

Ask yourself this question: how do you rate the City’s customer service departments right now?

If the end goal of this vote is cable competition, we have that now: Knology is entering with a competitive bid.

While they are reluctant to extend service to rural and less populated areas (like Charter), I have no doubt that our wonderfully persuasive mayor could easily find a way to persuade them to reach out more than their predecessor did.

When Gary Fuller sets his mind to something, he does it. He could do that on our behalf.

Further implementing the smart grid system is my greatest concern, however.

By creating a centralized, singular unit that controls the information and power hubs for our city, we create a system that might prove too high a security risk.

In speaking with techno-savvy friends of mine, I’ve been told that, with regards to smart grid systems, “It isn’t so much if they can be hacked but when will they be hacked.”

Putting that much control and information in the hands of any one entity, especially one backed by a city government, gives me pause.

I think this cable bill has been corrupted.

What began as an earnest attempt to bring cable to the people of this city has turned into governmental overreaching and power grabbing.

The future of our city is at stake in this vote.

Perhaps the smart grid and the centralized, ease-of-use way of life it represents will hearken a new era where life is more efficient.

The technology is too young.

The risk is too great.

I vote “No.”

I hope you’ll join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment