Thursday, September 30, 2010

The McCollumn - 10/1

A toast for Jenn

We were never supposed to remain friends.

I have several yearbooks from elementary and middle school that have phrases written in them telling me that she would miss me when she moved to Birmingham that summer.

For all those threats, though, Jennifer Shepherd never did move to Birmingham, and I’m eternally grateful she didn’t, as being friends with Jennifer Shepherd has and always will make my life better.

I could wax melodic about numerous inside jokes and life experiences, so much so that none of the rest of you dear readers would know what the blazes I was talking about.

You guys don’t know the significance of sing-a-longs to songs from Disney’s “Hercules.”

You weren’t at that hotel waffle bar in Colorado.

You don’t know about “I no have frecial sped.”

Trust me when I say you probably don’t really want to know.

However, these random memories and occurrences mean a great deal to me, as they remind me of the wonderful times I’ve shared with that thoughtful, caring young woman.

She gets married tomorrow to a great guy, Ken Golden.

I knew I’d have no problem with this pairing after she informed me that, “Oh, Ken likes ‘The West Wing,’ too. You guys should talk about that some time.”

Fact: Anyone who likes “The West Wing” has to be a good person. This is universally true.

He has many other redeeming qualities, of course, and he treats her like the princess we’ve (and she’s) always thought she was.

He’s the type of guy you want for one of your best friends.

But, I still say he’s getting the better end of the deal.

Inside of Jennifer lies one of the most loving hearts I’ve ever come into contact with.

She’s a person who genuinely enjoys helping others and giving back.

She possesses a strong moral compass that always points due north. Mine wobbles a bit, so it’s good to have hers to check mine by every now and again.

She’s logical and rational without being cold and mechanical. Trust me when I say this is a rarity.

More than all of this, though, she has always been a fiercely loyal person, doing whatever she can to help out a friend in need.

Whether it’s a supportive phone call, a drive-by visit or even the occasional all-night talk-a-thon, she genuinely cares and checks up on people when she feels her help is needed.

We should all be so lucky to have such a person in our lives.

Jenn, congratulations on your marriage and your new life you are beginning with Ken.

I have no doubt in mind that yours will be a marriage for the ages, one that I can point to and say “I want a love like what they have.”

Best of luck, kids, although I’m certain you won’t need it.

May all of the joys and blessings you’ve brought to my life be returned to you tenfold.

No comments:

Post a Comment