Friday, November 12, 2010

The McCollumn - 11/12/10

A final call to action

I’ve never claimed the mantle of “journalist.” Truth be told, it wasn’t something I ever thought I was meant for, then or now.

I’m an Opinions man, through and through; I create commentary, the one part of a newspaper where you’re allowed to have a stance or to share your personal view of the world.

However, I must begin to claim that mantle now with my new promotion to be this paper’s city reporter.

Do not for a moment think that I take this title lightly or accept it with bad faith.

In my search for stories to tell, I promise you that any sort of personal agenda or bias will be checked at the door.

My role is to observe and report, not comment and speculate.

That is a new role for me.

Know that me not giving my opinion on something is a bit like me not breathing.

I am not easily separated from my opinions and biases. None of us are.

If you think you are, you either lack firm convictions or you’re just ill informed and blissfully unaware.

Nevertheless, the tenets of journalism, that noble profession which I now aspire to enter again, demands I write without bias or slant.

To the best of my meager abilities, I will do this.

Part of remaining unbiased and spin-free will be limiting what I write about here in my personal column.

Virulent rants about garbage dumpsters, downtown issues and city council decisions will no longer be a part of my repertoire.

Any story I cover, unless deemed appropriate for commentary by my editor, will be off limits as well.

I’m serious about what I have to do here, even if it means ending the spirit of no-holds barred opinions writing that I’ve been allowed to practice here these last few years.

If I can ask of you dear readers only one thing as I start this new phase of my life: share your opinions and views with us.

So many of you have come to me over the years with issues and opinions to write about, and I’ve gladly taken them and used them.

Write them yourself.

Give your thoughts and ideas life by putting them to paper and letting your community hear them.

If you’re embarrassed to have your opinions put in print, know that this paper has published far more embarrassing things about me that I myself wrote.

A year ago this week, I wrote a column about how I thought I might have mad cow disease. Anything the rest of you want to share now seems slightly less insane by comparison.

The only way that this newspaper can call itself a public forum and source of information in this community is for you, the community, to get involved.

Please send us story ideas.

Send us letters or e-mails about what you think about what’s going on in this town on any issue.

Give us feedback – if you don’t like something, let us know. Even if it’s me – actually, especially if it’s me – I thrive on negative feedback.

This paper can only continue to be a voice for the people if the people give it a voice.

My time on the soapbox is at an end, friends.

Who’s going to step up now?

No comments:

Post a Comment