Thursday, April 28, 2011

The McCollumn - 4/29: There's more that unites us ...

“Why are there all these people in there dressed in costumes,” he asked, to no one in particular. “Haven’t seen anything like that here before. There’s a guy in there in a wig.”
I overheard these comments last Thursday night while standing on the balcony of the Irish Bred Pub, waiting for the performance to begin.
I almost didn’t want to intervene, allowing the patron to continue in his confusion, allowing him to work out on his own why various people had drifted into the bar wearing corsets, maid outfits and other sundry interesting costumes.
I would have been interested to hear what he would have come up with for an explanation.
I felt duty-bound to offer up the real explanation, but it turns out I didn’t have to do so.
“It’s for that Rocky Horror thing the University is doing,” some other patron interjected. “They dress up and sing songs to the movie. They’re doing some songs here tonight.”
All the assorted people in vicinity of the conversation nodded in agreement.
It’s not every week that one sees good ol’ boys in cowboy hats mingling with men dressed in wigs and corsets, but it did happen last week without any sort of bad fallout or negative words.
The actors performed their pre-chosen songs to boisterous applause and cheers, none more so than Opelikian Colin MacDougall’s turn as Dr. Frank N. Furter singing “Sweet Transvestite.”
The Rocky Horror Picture Show has been a mainstay of the Auburn University theatre department’s repertoire for a number of years, and I caught a few shows during my time there during my undergraduate career.
But, never in my living days would I have been able to imagine seeing such a performance in Opelika, albeit in a bar.
The “Rocky Horror Picture Show,” a somewhat sexually provocative musical, strongly features and highlights gay and transgender characters. This is not something one normally expects to see or hear about in small Southern towns in Alabama.
People clapped and swayed with the music, some even singing along with the actors. I was unaware so many people knew the words to “Sweet Transvestite.”
I was equal parts shocked and proud.
Tolerance and acceptance aren’t always things I expect from this town. I almost hate to say that, but it has been true in some cases.
I should know better.
More and more, we’re beginning to see that people, regardless of whatever other labels they choose to describe themselves, are just people.
There is more that unites us than divides us.
We all enjoy a laugh, a smile and, apparently, songs about transvestism.
I applaud the Irish Bred Pub for opening their doors to this unique performance and hope they’ll continue to support the arts in our community.
I also want to thank the University students for coming and putting on such a great show for us. It was a delight.
The show runs this week tonight and Saturday at 10 p.m. in the Telfair Peet theatre on Auburn’s campus. Tickets are $10 at the door.
Go and support this show, folks, if you can. I know 10 p.m. is a bit late for some of us, but I guarantee you will have an interesting, if not incredibly fun, time.
I’ll be there, and I hope to see you, too.

2 comments:

  1. It's at the Telfair Peet theatre at Auburn University. Thursday, Friday, and Saturday at 10 p.m.

    ReplyDelete