Friday, April 22, 2011

Southern Baptist celebrates Passover seder

This weekend, Henry Stern called and invited me to a small Passover seder at a friend’s house, just because he thought I might be interested in it.
I had never attended a Passover seder before, so I took him up on the offer, not sure what to expect.
Upon our arrival at Mike and Harriet Friedman’s home Monday evening, Mike took it upon himself to begin to explain the importance of Passover and some of the seder customs.
I was incredibly grateful for his commentary and insight. My knowledge of Passover was largely confined to what I’m able to remember from years of Sunday School and a few viewings of “The Ten Commandments” over the last decade.
My self-education had me ill-prepared.
“Passover is probably one of the most important Jewish holidays,” Mike said. “Even people who aren’t particularly observant in their faith will still celebrate Passover.”
He then added, with emphasis, “To give up Passover is to give up being Jewish.”
It was at that particular moment I realized I might be in over my head, a Southern Baptist attempting to observe and understand one of the fundamental Jewish holidays.
That worry was immediately shelved.
From the moment Harriet began to lead the seder, I had faith understanding and insight would come. After all, I had Mike sitting right next to me to explain anything I did have a question about. He was happy to oblige.
Our guiding text for the evening was the Haggadah, the writings that give the order of the Passover seder.
Harriet lead all 14 of us through the various parts of the Haggadah, taking time to explain why things were done, an important part of the traditions of the holiday.
From the first “Baruch atah Adonai,” I knew I was in for something profound and meaningful. There’s a weight to those words, to hearing Hebrew sung and pronounced in all its linguistic glory.
English translations were found within the Haggadah text, so I could follow along as the rituals and recitations continued.
It is through the rituals and the recitations the Jewish people can connect with both their faith and the generations who came before.
To be Jewish is not just a religious affiliation. Being Jewish carries with it a lineage.
For centuries, the Jewish people have been made to wander the earth, seeking refuge where they can find it, often dangerously in the presence of enemies who would later turn on them.
So many years of oppression and hardship could turn a people bitter, making them hate their fellow man and making them prone to seek vengeance.
Not the Jewish people.
Throughout the Haggadah, there are many references to a hope for peace for all mankind. While the suffering of the past is remembered, lest it be forgotten, the focus is largely put on thanking God for deliverance from those hardships.
There was no mention or emphasis on Moses, something that seems odd from the Passover stories I had remembered through church.
“We don’t focus on Moses,” Mike said. “Moses was just an instrument through which things were done.”
There were moments during the seder when the group was singing various blessings and phrases that certain odd feelings that came over me.
There are times when one can feel the presence of something greater, what I believe to be something spiritual, within a place.
It’s one of those times when you feel as though you know, without a shadow of a doubt, that there is a God and He watches over us.
During those moments throughout the seder, I repeatedly had that feeling. Those moments were short, but they made a lasting impact.
While the seder was a fun and festive gathering with wonderful food, great company and lively conversation, it will be those moments of transcendence that I’ll remember until the day I die.
I thank the Friedmans, Mr. Stern and everyone in attendance for allowing me the experience of sitting in on seder. It’s not every day a small-town Southern man gets to enjoy such events, and I’m appreciative for all of you giving me a glimpse into your faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment