Thursday, February 11, 2010

Cliff Rule #26

Cliff Rule #26: From time to time, a little self-affirmational dancing in front of a
mirror to Barry White's "You're My First, My Last, My Everything" is beneficial.

This particular Cliff Rule is one taken from the short-lived but wonderful David E. Kelley series "Ally McBeal." I'm a huge Kelley fan, so I tend to watch any and all
of his shows when afforded the opportunity to do so.

One of the show's main characters, John Cage (played by the incomparable Peter MacNicol) is a quirky fellow with many odd ticks and strange behaviors.
I'm not in Cage's league in terms of quirkiness, but I have always identified a bit
with the character.

Cage suffers from a distinct lack of confidence at times, and, in one of the show's
later seasons, we discover a method he uses to bolster his self-confidence and ego:

Self-affirmational dancing to Barry White music in front of mirrors
in the unisex bathroom.


As crazy as that looks and sounds, it does actually help.
We so seldom take the time to tell ourselves positive things.
We'll gladly heap praise on our friends and peers, but when it comes to saying
something nice about ourselves, we tend to go the self-deprecative route
more often than not.

Mirror dancing, insane though it may seem, reminds you that you should be a
person you care about.
If you can't find value in your own person, you'll be hard pressed to have others
see your value.

I also use Barry White's "You're My First, My Last, My Everything" when doing
my own self-affirmational dancing.
I see no need to improve on Kelley's formula, but that's not to say there aren't
other equally great songs out there for this little scheme.

If Barry White isn't your groove, find someone else.

Use Desree's "You Gotta Be." Use Whitney Houston's "The Greatest Love of All."
Use whatever song brings you joy and contentment.

But, seriously, give self-affirmational dancing a try.
At the very least, you'll get a good laugh and think "Wow, Cliff really is insane."

1 comment:

  1. I like Tik Tok right now, by Ke$ha. Because who wouldn't credit someone who uses a dollar sign in the spelling of their name? But seriously, great getting-ready jam. "The party don't start til I walk in... Don't stop, make hot. DJ blowing my speakers up tonight!"

    ReplyDelete