Monday, February 8, 2010

A New Direction

50 pounds.

It doesn't sound right, but it is. I've seen it.

Over the course of the last 9 months, I've lost a grand total of 50 pounds, down from my all-time high weight of 245.

One morning, I looked up in the mirror and didn't like what I saw, so I resolved to do something about it.

Here I am, 50 pounds lighter and better for it in so many ways. I've dropped a shirt size and a pant size. I can climb stairs without wheezing. I feel better. I look better.

I feel alive again.

I'm not finished with this project yet. There's still a ways to go on that route.

But 50 represents something greater.

50 makes me have to give up one of the most well-loved and used weapons in my arsenal: the Fat Shield. This will be difficult.

The Fat Shield is like family. It's been around since middle school, and it's been a constant companion.

The Fat Shield tells you to make self-deprecating jokes about your weight. They can't call you a fatty if you do it first; it takes the power away from them and establishes you as the de facto "funny guy." Ah, I know that role so well.

The Fat Shield also destroys self-confidence, giving you a self-worth that could fit comfortably in a walnut shell. The Fat Shield is a vampire, feeding off of your pride and leaving you with hopelessness and self-doubt.

Die, vampire, die.

I'm getting back to my fighting weight. I feel like I need some sort of '80s montage music playing while I do it or maybe get Burgess Meredith to yell at me.

With 50 will come more changes, non-weight changes.

Part of losing the Fat Shield means leaving the comfort zone, ridding myself of the old and familiar roles for the promise of a better, more fulfilling life.

It's time for me to live.
It's time for me to do.

"You must be the change you wish to see." - Gandhi

I know what I have to do.
How's about you?

2 comments:

  1. High 5 to you sir! I'm so proud of you. You just decreased the likelihood of me ever having to be your nurse. Well played

    ReplyDelete
  2. good insight on how body layers can be a protection from the world.

    ReplyDelete