Wednesday, February 3, 2010

English Major Moment #1

Having a degree in English means that I had the great joy of reading a vast deal of literature. It was, at times, forced on me, but I made it work and found things I could appreciate in each class.

In my case, I spent a majority of my studies within the realm of British literature, so most of my literary tastes are clouded with that bias.

When I can't sleep, as I can't this evening, I turn to the British poets. Today's poison: Tennyson.



From "Ulysses"

It may be that the gulfs will wash us down;
It may be we shall touch the Happy Isles,
And see the great Achilles, whom we knew
Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho'
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are, -
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

No comments:

Post a Comment